The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organisation with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate on behalf of refugees and other forcibly displaced persons. JRS undertakes services at national and regional levels with the support of an international office in Rome. Founded in November 1980 as a work of the Society of Jesus, JRS w…
Read more about this company
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 7 years
- Location Taraba
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Under the supervision of the Country Director, and through delegation of her/his authority, the Project Director has the overall responsibility for the proper implementation and operational direction of JRS’ projects/programs in his/her geographical area of intervention. The Project Director also monitors the context to ensure programing is relevant and responsive to priority needs. In this capacity, the Project Director is also responsible for representing JRS publicly and externally at the field level for all programs under their supervision and for providing the direct link in communications between the Field Office Team and the Country Office team. Lastly, the Project Director provides security management of his geographical area and ensures all safety and security measures, including contingency plans and standard operating procedures.
Responsibilities And Tasks
- The Project Director has responsibility for the overall timely delivery of JRS programs portfolio in his/her geographical areas of operations.
- The Project Director with the support of Program Managers concerned has overall responsibility for proper delivery of programs and the smooth running of support services in his/her geographical area of intervention.
- The Project Director is at the source of program development and operational positioning in his/her geographical area of intervention, in line with JRS country strategy and in conjunction with programmatic and operational technical coordinators.
- The Project Director, as member of the Country Management Team contributes to the fulfilment of the aims and objectives of JRS’ presence in the country through other tasks as required and/or directed by the Country Director.
- When defining new operational activities, he/she coordinates the work of the relevant technical departments and of the administrative and logistical support teams, with a view to preparing project proposals that are complete, and in line with the donors’ formats and internal rules of JRS mission.
- S/He ensures that the safety plan for the field offices is up-to-date, and that all staff are aware of it and understand it.
- S/He ensures that staff has all the necessary tools to create and maintain good relationship with local administrative or security stakeholders.
- S/He ensures the smooth running of ongoing programs in the field offices (meeting of objectives, respecting timelines, budgetary monitoring, contractual reporting) and reports to his/her immediate supervisor.
- S/He is involved in identifying needs and proposing / leading assessments on the basis of agreed TOR (Terms of Reference) and with endorsement from his/her immediate supervisor.
- S/He supervises directly all staff in his/her geographical areas of operations or by delegation through the different program leads under their supervision.
- S/He guides the work of all staff, tracks the realization of their objectives, and leads the mid-term and final appraisal exercises.
- S/He ensures compliance with the Internal Rules and Procedures of JRS in the field offices.
- S/He delegates responsibility for the integration of any new employee on the base, and ensures that the context of program implementation, safety rules, logistical, administrative and financial procedures, as well as procedures for the use of communication and transportation are explained and understood.
- S/He handles the management of interpersonal conflicts that arise at his/her location and refers the matter to his/her immediate supervisor/ Human Resources in the event that he/she is not able to resolve the dispute.
- S/He is responsible for JRS reputation in her/his area of operation, and in that capacity ensures that the entire staff under his/her authority displays behaviour consistent with the values of the organization, with full respect for the local culture.
- With support from the National Logistics Officer s/he ensures that the needs of the field offices are met (support, programming), while making sure that all donor’s and internal procedures are respected, and that commitments are in line with available budgets.
- S/He is responsible for cost optimization; and uses budget tracking to achieve this; he/she ensures adequate financial resources for the running of the field offices.
- Regarding budget monitoring, he/she participates in team-based analysis (along with Programs, HR, Logistics and Finance) and is responsible for detecting anomalies and proposing adjustments to his/her immediate supervisor.
- S/He represents the organization before local actors, manage stakeholders, and ensures that good relations are maintained with each of them in compliance with JRS principles of neutrality and independence.
- S/he sends the internal and external reports to his/her immediate supervisor while meeting the internal deadlines for endorsement (Situation Report, incident report) and external contractual deadlines (project reports).
- S/he attends internal and external coordination meetings and participates actively in them and highlight the challenges in these meetings.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Good analytical and writing skills.
- Good management capacities and team leadership spirit, good security management and project management skills.
- Extensive knowledge of MS office.
- Exceptional reporting skills.
- Ability to work in stressful locations.
- Ability to manage teams remotely
- Good knowledge of institutional donor procedures and financial guidelines
- Knowledge of humanitarian actors
- Good management and pedagogical skills
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations.
- Capacity to delegate and to supervise the work of a team.
- Good presentation skills.
- Flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization.
- Strong commitment to support/develop capacity of staff
Method of Application
- JRS is an equal opportunity employer regardless of religion, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic groups. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
- Applicants are advised that JRS does not require any payment during the recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to our values and practices.
- Females are encouraged to apply.
Be found by employers. Sign up and complete your profile