We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely and more cost effectively than any other company.
We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others’â€‹. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation.
Read more about this company
Senior Bootloader & System Engineer – Ubuntu Linux
- Job Type Full Time , Remote
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Lagos
- Job Field ICT / Computer
- We are seeking a software engineer passionate about Linux systems, hardware architectures, Ubuntu, and the open source community, to join the Ubuntu Foundations Engineering team as we expand our expertise in Linux boot architectures and technologies to provide fast, reliable and secure Ubuntu systems on all devices and in the cloud.
- The boot process is one of the most critical aspects of any operating system where stability, reliability and security are paramount. Its efficiency and quality contribute to Ubuntu’s success from Desktop, Server to the Cloud. We are expanding our Foundations team to focus our efforts on this essential function and are looking for people passionate about lower level technologies from the hardware, to the firmware, and Linux itself, involved in an operating system startup. Applicants should be comfortable working with Secure Boot, Measured Boot, Full Disk Encryption and other technologies used during modern operating systems boot process.
- This is highly technical work, and we are looking for a colleague with a very careful and systematic approach to their software. This work is critical to system security and reliability.
- The Ubuntu Foundations Team delivers and maintains the core of the Ubuntu system, the base for the entire Ubuntu family of products and services. Ubuntu strives to deliver the latest and best free software components, in an easy to use and highly reliable form. We build on the technical excellence of Debian and bring additional focus and shape to the solutions we offer industry.
- As a Linux System Engineer, you will work on the architecture, design and development of core components involved in the boot and startup of the Ubuntu Distribution. You will be discussing design with other team members and mentor less senior engineers and participate in code reviews and design reviews. You will also be working with other teams to ensure architecture decisions improve the overall performance and experience of Ubuntu.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Work with highly technical team to define and shape the boot architecture of Ubuntu
- Work with teams focused on Ubuntu for server, desktop, IoT and clouds
- Write high quality code to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality fixes
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks a year for internal and external events
Valued Skills, Approach and Experience
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar Degree
- Experience with early boot technologies, including boot loaders and firmware
- Experience with grub, shim, initrd, initramfs, u-boot and similar software components.
- A love of technology and working with brilliant people
- Motivated, curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- A long-time Linux user with broad interests in the future of Linux
- Experience or interest in learning how to package software for Debian and Ubuntu
- Enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
What Canonical Offers
- Personal learning and development budget.
- Annual compensation review.
- Recognition rewards.
- Annual leave.
- Priority Pass for travel.
Method of Application
Be found by employers. Sign up and complete your profile.