The name Mines Advisory Group was established in the early days of the organisation, when it was decided that MAG’s initial role would be to draw the attention of the international community towards issues relating to mines and UXO.
Between 1990 and 1991, the McGrath brothers carried out two assessment missions to Afghanistan and Cambodia, hoping th…
Read more about this company
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Not specified
- Job Field Administration / Secretarial
- To manage one of MAG’s operational bases in country, in support of MAG programme objectives, including logistics, finance, administration and liaison with communities / local authorities.
Support Services Management / Coordination:
- Provide direct support to MAG operations in the areas of logistics, finance, administration and community/local authority relations, ensuring systems and procedures are followed.
- Implement appropriate management, administrative, finance and logistical methods of working, ensuring their efficiency, in line with MAG Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), guidelines and local regulations.
- Manage base health, safety and security and monitor security situation in base location and areas of operations ensuring that operations teams and programme SMT are kept informed of security risks and developments.
- Ensure MAG support / administrative Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), donor policies and procedures, and applicable local regulations are understood and complied with at all times.
- Ensure financial records are properly maintained and submitted to the programme Finance Manager within agreed deadlines.
- Manage cash flow requirements for the base.
- Ensure operational advances are managed appropriately so that they are liquidated promptly, and properly accounted for.
- Oversee local procurement and logistics, ensuring programme procedures are adhered to and developed where necessary, in liaison with Logistician and Programme Management Team.
- Maintain systems for resource management at the base, including the administration of systems related to vehicle fleet management and maintenance, warehousing, asset management, stock keeping and facilities management.
- Ensure good communication and coordination between the support and administration team and the technical operational team.
- Ensure that housing and amenities are maintained a high level to facilitate a comfortable living standard for international staff based at the location.
- Where appropriate, assist in the logistical planning and administration related to any visitors to the base, including travel requirements and security brief.
- Line manage relevant national staff at base, ensuring individuals work effectively and productively.
- Oversee and supervise the recruitment, selection, hiring, training, and performance management of all base support staff, and insure those actions are carried out in compliance with applicable MAG, local legislation and donor policies.
- Support international MAG technical staff operating out of the base location in the recruitment, selection and hiring of local technical staff in compliance with applicable MAG, local legislation and donor policies.
- Ensure all base staff understand and adhere to the provisions of the MAG Code of Conduct and the United
- Nations Code of Conduct on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (CoC/PSEA).
- Assist in the process of national staff capacity building, providing mentoring support where appropriate.
Reporting and Communications:
- Ensure daily communication and coordination with the Senior Management Team, Coordinate field
- management meetings and briefings.
- Ensure timely and detailed production of MAG programme internal reports as requested by the Country
- Programme Manager or other related departments within MAG
- Using internal reporting formats, ensure effective internal information flows.
- Represent MAG when dealing with local authorities, other organisations and NGOs within the provincial area
- of operations.
- Ensure all relevant parties are kept informed of MAG activities as appropriate.
- Inform the Country Programme Manager of any potential problems related to external relationships ahead of
All International staff are expected to undertake the following general duties:
- Work within the framework of MAG’s core values, promoting its ethos and mission statement.
- Work towards achieving programme and/or department business plan objectives
- Ensure familiarity with and adhere to all MAG policies and procedures and keep informed of MAG activities
- Undertake and apply learning from appropriate training and development programmes.
- Undertake role in developing countries and areas in conflict where standards of living may be basic.
- Undertake the role in a manner appropriate to the cultural context and within the local legal framework.
- Understand and uphold the standards outlined in MAG’s Safeguarding Framework, acting with due care and attention to safeguard the wellbeing of anyone that comes into contact with MAG’s work and reporting concerns if they do arise.
- This is a non-contractual document that can be varied from time to time as circumstances dictate. This job description is intended to summarize the main duties and responsibilities of the post; this is not intended to be a full and exhaustive list of tasks. All MAG staff are expected to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to perform appropriate tasks when the need arises.
- Demonstrable experience of working in remote locations within developing countries.
- Experience of having developed relationships and negotiated with, local authorities and other NGOs as well as local partners
- Experience of managing a team of national staff
- Experience of working as part of a multi-cultural team.
- Experience of using finance, logistics, administration and human resource systems
- Experience of being responsible for the security management of a team in a remote location.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- Proven ability to motivate and develop a team
- Effective financial management skills
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to coordinate activities
- Effective influencing and negotiating skills
- Good literacy, numeracy and IT skills
- Ability and willingness to undertake routine administrative tasks
- Understanding of, and commitment to, humanitarian and capacity building principles
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts
- Innovative, creative and proactive with an analytical and solution-oriented approach
- Determined and committed to high quality standards
- Ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Ability to represent and promote MAG
- Commitment to MAG’s strategic direction and core values
- Ability to think on feet and show shrewd judgement promptly and positively in difficult situations
- Ability to work diplomatically and sensitively in a potentially volatile political environment
- Self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic approach to work
- Ability to work independently and operate alone
- Ability to live in a remote, often confined area with a diverse mix of colleagues
- Awareness of and understanding of humanitarian mine action approaches
- Experience of MAG systems and procedures
- Understanding of relevant national and development context of the programme
MAG staff are rewarded with generous benefits:
- Salary: The starting salary package for this position is £40,600 per annum including all allowances and this increases with service.
- Accommodation: MAG will provide accommodation in-country.
- Leave: We recognise our staff work hard and need the appropriate time out to stay motivated. You’ll have a minimum of six/eight weeks out of the programme per year
- Flights: MAG provides three international flights home per year
- Insurance: All international staff are automatically covered by MAG’s comprehensive insurance package including: Personal accident and medical expenses insurance; Death by natural causes insurance and access to 24-hour medical assistance including evacuation and repatriation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their filled form and Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title as the subject of the mail.
Be found by employers. Sign up and complete your profile.