We assist those in urgent need anywhere, anytime, no matter what the conditions, providing lifesaving health care and health care-related emergency services-often within hours.
Read more about this company
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 2 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field Medical / Healthcare  , NGO/Non-Profit
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps is therefore looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of Stabilization Centre Doctor to be based in Damboa.
Position: Nigerian nationals only
IMC’s curative and preventive nutrition intervention has expanded to 15 OTPs in Damboa, Jere, Konduga and MMC LGAs. The curative component targets children, 6-59 months with SAM. Community health volunteers screen and refer children with a MUAC <11.5cm or WHZ < -3 or those with grade + or ++ or edema to OTP sites for treatment. SAM cases are treated at the OTP using RUTF, deworming and Vitamin supplementation. Children with severe acute malnutrition and medical complications or those <6 months are referred to stabilization centers. In addition, caregivers of children 6-59 months are trained on how to measure MUAC. If a caregiver identifies a child with SAM these are re-assessed by the CHV and if confirmed, the child is referred to the OTP. These children receive nutrition support through RUTF based on their weight, treated for infections using routine medication and screened and treated for malaria. The severely acutely malnourished who are 24-59 months are de-wormed. All severely acutely malnourished without edema receive routine vitamin A supplementation and zinc supplements for those that present with diarrhea, whilst those presenting with malnutrition and medical complications are to stabilization centers for specialized treatment.
The incumbent will be responsible for the overall implementation of Nutrition activities at the Stabilisation Canter (SC) in collaboration with other IMC nutrition and SMOH staff, and integration with other programs that are implemented by IMC in Damboa LGA. S/He will facilitate good practice and ensure compliance to applicable implementation of national CMAM guidelines at the SC.
- The Stabilization Centre Medical Doctor ensures the implementation of a quality clinical care of children admitted to the center in accordance with National and International standards.
- Undertakes morning and evening ward rounds daily with Nurses and Nutrition Assistants.
- Makes entries in the patient’s notes as appropriate following ward rounds or any other patient examinations, communication or procedures.
- Supervises daily clinical management of all patients in conjunction with the SC Nurses and Nutrition Assistants on duty with support from Nutrition Manager.
- He/She supervises the SC Nurse, Nutrition Assistant, Cleaners, Guards, Cooks and shall directly provide ongoing leadership to the project team and oversee implementation and coordination of activity plans to ensure targets are met.
- Liaises with SC Nurse and Nutrition Assistants regularly (at least every 3-4 hours) to check on patient progress, or more frequently if their condition necessitates and/or on calls relating to patients’ care.
- Takes blood samples from patients as may be required from time to time.
- Responds to calls from the ward relating to patient care.
- Administers intravenous medications / therapy if required.
- Undertakes emergency procedures as required (including resuscitation), taking the lead as necessary.
- Ensure all consumables used during procedures shall be correctly charged or accounted for.
- Coordinates with the SC staff and Pharmacist to ensure that all available drugs and consumables used during procedures are strategically stored in SC.
- Ensure donated medicine and consumables are only prescribed for patients and not for staff unless on emergency first aid and under authorization from Nutrition Manager and Coordinator.
- Mentor and provide on-the-job training on stabilization care and documentation to nurses and other health workers deployed to the SC including program goal and objectives.
- Supervise the use of medicines, medical supplies, nutrition-related commodities and data tools in the SC.
- Liaise with the Nutrition Officer, Nutrition Assistants and Care Group Supervisor to ensure and facilitate a timely referral of complicated SAM cases from the OTPs to the SC.
- Participate in the development and review of SC program monitoring and evaluation tools where necessary.
- Ensure timely collection, compilation and analysis of quality data as well as production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding all SC activities.
- Liaise with MoH, WHO and other nutrition stakeholders towards a successful SC project.
- Maintain work schedules/plans for SC Nurses, Nutrition Assistants, Cleaners and Cooks in the SC according to the variation in workload, holidays, unplanned absences or illness.
- Update the Nutrition Manager on the implementation of all SC activities on weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual basis.
- Ensure smooth referrals of discharge cases from the SC to the nearest IMC OTP sites.
- Follow up management of stocks with the Pharmacy Officer; monitor rates of SC consumption and ensure supplies are ordered in a timely manner.
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the SC teams, including admission, discharge and transfer from the various components of the program, all medical and nutritional protocols, and their application/OTP/SC/CG services.
- Ensure that SC beneficiaries, caretakers and members of the community are treated respectfully at all times.
- Participate in regular nutrition team management meetings and also represent the Nutrition Manager in carrying out some related tasks.
- Ensure that the SC is equipped with all necessary tools and materials (e.g., MUAC tapes, weighing scales, drugs, F-75, F-100, RUTF, counselling cards, referral guides)
- Ensure that all SC staff fully complete and sign timesheets monthly for submission to HR/Finance Admin.
- Assist in any other tasks when required by nutrition manager and/or management.
Qualifications and Experience (Educational, Experience, Language):
- Strictly qualified and registered national Medical Doctor from a recognized University/Institute with minimum practicing experience of 2 years.
- Must possess a valid practicing license from the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN).
- Experience and implementation of nutrition intervention programs is an added advantage.
- Understanding of nutritional/health surveillance and information systems/reporting.
- Proven ability and experience in planning and conducting formal training session on health and nutrition including CMAM and IYCF.
- Proven capacity to supervise and coach other staff and community workers.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathize with children and their care takers.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions.
- Prepared to live and work in an uncertain security environment.
- Ability to deal with relations with local authorities as a Nutrition representative of IMC in the SC.
- Ability to integrate into the local environment including awareness of political, religious and economic aspects of the community.
- Excellent inter and intra personal skills to ensure consistent positive relations with key stakeholders.
- Familiarity with donors and donor procedures.
- Strong report writing and computer skills including literacy in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
- International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
- Due to the urgent need of the position applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
· International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the reporting email address provided at the end of this document. International Medical Corps’ Reporting email address: www.InternationalMedicalCorps.ethicspoint.com Please do not submit your CV or application to the reporting email address, it will not be considered for review.
We are an equal opportunity organization so Borno State Based candidates are Strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: email@example.com using the position as subject of email.
Be found by employers. Sign up and complete your profile.