“What are we aiming at?”
That’s the question our first president, Daniel Coit Gilman, asked at his inauguration in 1876. What is this place all about, exactly? His answer:
“The encouragement of research . . . and the advancement of individual scholars, who by their excellence will advance the sciences they pursue, and the society where …
Read more about this company
Senior Security Manager
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 8 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Security / Intelligence
Country Office: Nigeria Country Office
Position Reports to: Country Director
- The Senior Security Manager oversees the safety & security aspects of Jhpiego’s projects funded by US government and private foundations.
- S/he will ensure that security strategy for the Nigeria Country Office is developed, implemented, monitored and reviewed; consistent with Jhpiego policies, standards and requirements.
- Ensure proper security coordination of all Jhpiego offices and field locations in Nigeria.
- Assisting the CD in establishing an effective Safety, Security and Emergency Management Team (SSEMT)/Local Incident Management Team (LIMT);
- Communicating the membership and function of the Safety, Security and Emergency Management Team /LIMT to all stakeholders;
- Develop, review and ensure effective implementation of the Jhpiego Nigeria Security Management Plans including a security plan in assigned offices, together with key staff.
- Prepare timely security updates, based on information from internal and external sources including the US Government, to support policy and procedure reviews as well as to mitigate risks to programming.
- Monitor implementation of safety and security protocols and promptly advise the CD of any non-compliance and/or concerns/issues.
- Undertake regular site assessments of Jhpiego properties and implementation areas, communications equipment and options; report on findings and implement necessary improvements under the guidance.
- Ensure adequate supply and maintenance of necessary safety and security-related equipment at all offices and international staff residences.
- Under the supervision of CD, develop and implement a regular process of review and revision of security plans, policies, protocols, procedures & standard operating procedures, etc. in collaboration with RSM Consulting (or Jhpiego’s security contractor).
- Maintain regular contact with other agency security focal points, including NGOs, UN, USAID and local authorities related to security issues and concerns especially in program implementation areas.
- Under the direction of CD, provide direct support and advice on response related to safety/security incidents to all staff of Jhpiego – Nigeria.
- Provide safety and security orientation for all new staff, short term technical assistance, expats staff / visitor/ guests and update training for existing staff.
- Maintain an updated Jhpiego staff contact list and security notification tree and test the tree on a regular basis.
- Conduct regular site visits to state offices and field sites to assess safety/security arrangements.
- Implement and ensure effective monitoring of a personnel and vehicle tracking system in each office.
- Conduct regular mock drills in all offices (e.g. fire drill, evacuation, etc.)
- Be readily available at all times to the Country Director and field staff to advice on security developments.
- First Degree in Security Management, Criminology or a related field. A post graduate degree will be an added advantage
- Professional security management certification
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ work experience with not less than 3 years in a similar role in a multi-cultural work environment.
- Considerable practical experience of security assessment, planning and implementation of procedures in the context of INGO operations.
- Proven experience of field-based training.
- Good attention to detail with ability to follow, applies, interpret, and explain instructions and/or guidelines
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff and partners.
- Good oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate findings and analyses
- Be cooperative, hardworking, flexible & dependable.
- Be of high integrity and have a sense of confidentiality
- Extensive experience in setting up and managing safety and security systems and protocols and provide training to staff and partners.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a very sensitive environment.
- Good context analysis skills
- Knowledge of institutional donors (United Nations, USAID/CDC, DFID, etc.) regulations, procedures and requirements a plus.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated CV to: [email protected] using “Senior Security Manager, Abuja” as the subject of the email.
- CV and Cover Letter as ONE SINGLE WORD document
- The title/subject of your email and application should be the position you are applying for.
- Candidates that do not comply with the application instruction will be disqualified.
- Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
- We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
- Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview
- Any successful candidate will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
- There will be travel requirements and opportunities within Nigeria.
- JHU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.