International cooperation between Germany and Nigeria commenced in 1974. GIZ was initially represented by an office in Lagos until 2003, but since 2004 it has maintained a country office and four project offices in the new capital Abuja. At present, GIZ has around 25 seconded staff, 100 Nigerian and regional experts, and four CIM experts working in Nigeria.
Read more about this company
- Open Jobs
- Junior Project Officer
- Junior Technical Advisor
- Method of Application
Junior Project Officer
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 3 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Project Management
VA No: 059
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Fund for Agricultural Policy and Innovation (FABI)
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe –from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2019, we generated a business volume of around EUR 3.1 billion. Our 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff, work in around 120 countries.
- As a recognised development service provider, we currently have 556 development workers in action in partner countries. Furthermore, in 2019, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the German Federal Employment Agency, placed 262 integrated experts and 515 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries, or provided them with financial support, advice or other services.
- Personnel and business figures as at 31 December 2019
- The Agricultural Policy and Innovation Fund (FABI) is part of the special initiative “One World without Hunger”, initiated by the German Ministry of International Cooperation and Development and implemented by the German Corporation for International Cooperation (GIZ) with the aim of fighting hunger and malnutrition worldwide.
- The FABI project supports policymakers in partner countries and regions in the development and implementation of agricultural and trade policy strategies and promotes innovations that can improve the agricultural and food sectors in partner countries.
- In its policy component, the project uses capacity building measures and evidence from economic and policy analysis as the basis for achieving a competitive, sustainable, and socially inclusive agricultural development.
- FABI works on a case basis, in response to concrete requests from partners in the targeted countries and regions. FABI is committed to supporting the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Commissionin implementingthe Regional Action Plan2020-2025 of the ECOWAS Rice Offensive that aims at achieving self-sufficiency in rice at regional level by 2025.
- As one of the implementing strategiesof the ECOWAS Agricultural Policy (ECOWAP/CAADP), the “Rice Offensive”aimsat a sustained and sustainable cultivation of rice in West Africa.
- The FABI’s support focuses on the workstream 1.3 (initiate, develop and implement additional regulations to boost the rice value chain in West Africa) of the Rice Action Plan, which aims at improving the regulatory framework in the rice sector to render the rice value chains more productive and competitive.
- The measure consists of two parts: the first is to develop a database to take stock of national and regional regulations affecting the rice sector and monitor their implementation, conduct a (gender sensitive) gap analysis to establish the need areas for additional regulations and develop drafts of the required additional regulations.
- The second part is to validate the new regulations in a consultative and participative way at regional level
Responsibilities & Tasks
- This position seconded to the Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) of the ECOWAS Commission will support the FABI activities on the ECOWAS Rice Action Plan.
- The position is based in Abuja (Nigeria) under the supervision of the CARI’s senior policy advisor.
The Junior Project Officer performs the following tasks:
- Supporting general project planning, including preparation and organization of planning activities, implementation, management, monitoring, evaluation and documentation in relation to the ECOWAS Rice Offensive and its Action Plan.
- Supporting coordination mechanism and synergies among stakeholders
- Communication and knowledge management: development of policy briefs and newsletter articles
- Backstopping of external short-term experts
- Contribution to the organization of multi-stakeholder-consultations and regional workshops
- Mapping and analysis of current regulations undertaken by each country in the rice sector in the ECOWAS region
- Development of a database on national and regional regulations supporting the rice value chain.
- Maintenance ofthe database and monitoring of the implementation of regulations
- Supporting coordination between the ECOWAS and stakeholders in the Member states
- Backstopping and regular communication with the short-term experts in charge of conducting the regulation gap analysis
- Development of terms of reference and back-stopping of external short-term experts to build an easy-to-use platform that will enable the Member states and ECOWAS commission to update the rice database in the future
- Supporting the organization ofmulti-stakeholder-consultations in the context of the regulation gap analysis and the development of additional regulations
- Supporting the organization of the regional validation workshop
- Any other task assigned by DARD in the implementation of the component 1 of the ECOWAS Rice Action Plan
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience Qualifications
- M.Sc. Degree or equivalent in the field of Agricultural Economics or related topics
- 3 years of experience in the field of agricultural and rural development
- Experience with database development and maintenance
- Experience in value chain development, especially rice
- Experience in policy advice and interaction with stakeholders at regional and national levels
- Demonstrated ability in the organization of workshops, communication and public relations
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- Experience with gender mainstreaming
- Good English skills: C1 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) and sound knowledge of French
- Experience with GIZ internal processes and instruments is an asset
- Previous experience in a comparable position is an asset
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS region and the rice value chain will be an asset
Other Knowledge, Additional Competences:
- Knowledge of database management software (e.g. Microsoft Access)
- Willingness to undertake short-term business trips
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) andcomputer applications (e.g. Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, One-Note, Teams, Planner)
- Confidential handling of data and information.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 3
go to method of application »
Junior Technical Advisor
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 5 years
- Location Lagos
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
VA No: 063
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)
- The GIZ Programme “Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)” supports the diversification of the economy in Nigeria through the promotion of demand oriented technical and agricultural vocational training and education (A/VET).
- Apart from the sectors agriculture and construction, the project is focusing mainly on the automotive, ICT and other sectors.
- The strategy of the project is to improve the synergy between measures on the demand side for employment (i.e. skilled persons that followed vocational qualification measures, formal and informal TVET and Agricultural-VET (ATVET) measures) with those of the employment supply side (i.e. promotion of a pro-employment environment in the private sector through e.g. job centers, job fairs, short-term training and internship programmes, etc.).
- The purpose is to develop the match-making between the supplyand demand of skilled labor force and hence to contribute to the decrease of youth unemployment in the country.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- The Junior Technical Advisor will work under the supervision of the Team Leader for the SKYE Lagos office and will support the development and implementation of measures to achieve the project objectives.
The Junior Technical Advisor will need to perform the following tasks:
- Draft concept notes, terms of reference, meeting agendas, minutes and reports for internal and external activities
- Support the management processes for consultants contracted (e.g. organize consultant visits, monitor progress, check on deliverables, coordinate with partners)
- Organize project activities in coordination with the team leader
- Support the process of developing TVET standards and curricula
- Prepare and deliver presentations and facilitate workshops as relevant for purposes both within and external to the project
- Travel within the regionand beyond as required to implement project activities (especially within Lagos and to Ogun as well as Edo state)
- Participate in project internal meetings and activities and provide support as may be requested and/or delegated
- Engage in coordinationand networking with other GIZ programmes, project partners and with other relevant stakeholders
- Support administrative tasks and processes (financial, logistical, contractual and other) as necessary for the effective and efficient implementation of the projectactivities
- Provide technical advice and support to the partners and other stakeholders as relevant on key thematic issues
- Support knowledge management processes within the project.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- University degree in Education, Political Science, Economics or other relevant field of study
- Minimum of 5 years’ general work experience in a Nigerian private sector and/or public sector institutions
- Work experience in one of the following subjects is an asset: development of vocational training standards, employment promotion, career guidance, employment promotion
- Experience in organizing and/or facilitating events is an asset
- Experience in applying research methods to conduct surveys is an asset
- International exposureand/or work experience in an international company/organization is an asset
- Proven excellent knowledge of the English language, both oral and written
- Exceptional analytical, conceptional and organizational skills
- Proven good working knowledge of computer applications (e.g. MS Office Package)
- Experience in addressingissues of gender equalityis an asset
- Resourceful and resilient and able to stay motivated in the face of setbacks or during periods of pressure
- Willingness to strengthen skills and competences as required by the task to be performed in line with measures agreed with the supervisor and management
- Willingness to travel to the field and other programmes offices in Nigeria
- Good communication skills
- A good team player who is willing to take on responsibility.
According to GIZ Nigeria Salary scale for Band 3.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and letter of motivation as one document with complete contact details to: [email protected] Please include vacancy no. 059 OR Vacancy no. 063 in the mail subject.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity.
religion are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.