Action Against Hunger | ACF International, a global humanitarian organization committed to ending world hunger, works to save the lives of malnourished children while providing communities with access to safe water and sustainable solutions to hunger.
Read more about this company
Terms of Reference – Social Protection Policy Development for Action Against Hunger’s Intervention
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 7 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field Consultancy
Project and Study Summary Table
Reference of the Assessment PD-ABU-01451
Project Name Building Resilience in Borno State
Sector Food Security & Livelihood, Health and Nutrition, WASH
Implementing Partners (if applicable) N/A
1. Project Background
1.1. Rationale for the Project
The past ten years of violence between the Nigerian armed forces and armed opposition groups in North East Nigeria have caused mass displacement and drained state and community resources. At its peak, 2.1 million individuals were displaced by the conflict; the majority of these people are in Borno state, which currently hosts 1,603,044 internally displaced persons (IDPs) and more than 3.8 million in need of humanitarian assistance 1 . Previously inaccessible areas in Borno are now opening, revealing populations in dire need of support. The conflict has left a significant number of people with no assets, which has decreased food security and led to negative coping strategies, such as reduced number of meals, child
labour, asset selling, and bankrupt.
The overall vision of Building Resilience project in Borno is to respond to the need of building resilience and sustainability and enhancing the capacity of public institutions and affected communities to anticipate and react to the challenges of poverty, social cohesion, climate change, and crisis/security.
The Specific Objective of the project is to Improve nutrition security of conflict-affected populations through uptake of critical household health and hygiene behaviors and through improved government’s
capacity to provide primary health care, water, sanitation and hygiene services, support safety nets and livelihoods sources
1.2 Project Goal
Borno state has various existing Social Protection programmes that consist of different measures designed to prevent and reduce poverty as well as vulnerability by promoting efficient labour market, as
well as diminishing people’s exposure to risk. However, due to the absence of a harmonized and coordinated approach to social protection programmes in the State, different MDAs coordinate these
programmes separately. As such, they remain fragmented, not well-coordinated, less strong and sustainable social protection programmes and systems in place. Like many other States in Nigeria, Borno
State has a number of social protection programmes that are politically driven and ad-hoc in nature. To address this and ensure that social protection is effective, inclusive and sustainable the EU-funded
project will support the Borno state government to develop multi-sectoral state specific social protection policy. This policy is expected to outline the state government’s social protection strategies and
interventions to reduce poverty and vulnerability in an integrated, coherent, coordinated, and sustainable manner, prioritizing the reduction of extreme poverty and emphasizing long-term and predictable interventions.
1.3 Geographical scope covered by the analysis
The consultancy will focus on the entire State. The assignment is to come up with a final draft of Social Protection Policy for Borno through a consultative process engaging all relevant stakeholders at
State, LGAs and Emirates council level, with the ‘blessings’ and leadership of Traditional Leaders, Legislators and Executives from across EU funded LGAs Monguno, Mobbar, Nganzai, Kaga and
2. PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
2.1. Objectives of the Evaluation
- To facilitate the drafting and domestication of the National Social Protection Policy to Borno state specific social protection policies.
- To develop M&E framework with a clear MIS that will ensure that partners and other MDAs data collection indicators, variables, templates and community based targeting complies with SOCU data generating process.
- To support the development of well-targeted, appropriately financed and well-coordinated inclusive and sustainable social protection policy
- To ensure effective and legal frameworks, which respond directly to poverty, social exclusion and other vulnerabilities, thus contributing to reducing poverty and social inequality. .
- To ensure that the policy reflects state priorities and which will garner contributions and support from key ministries and stakeholders in the state.
- To conduct situational analysis and evaluation of already existing laws, policies, strategies institutional frameworks in Borno state
- To harmonize social protection systems through engagement with consultative multi-stakeholders meetings on the implementation status of social protection programmes including progress, gaps and
- lessons learnt
- To develop social protection policy operational plan and monitoring and evaluation framework for Borno state
3. Profile of the Evaluator
- The evaluation will be carried out by an international evaluation consultant with the following profile:
- Higher degree in a field related to Social Protection (sociology, economics, social sciences, public policy and/or international development policy).
- Proven successful record of accomplishment in inclusive and accountable social protection.
- Knowledge about the Borno/North East context is highly essential and desirable
- At least seven years’ experience working in the development sector or health system.
- Previous work experience in Food Security and Livelihood Programming and Social Protection especially in the northeast will be an added advantage
- Extensive experience in social protection policy design data management and analysis, including proficient control of MS Excel
- Ability to travel to Borno State and some LGAs based needs based on AAH security clearance
- General experience in social protection policy design is required
- Sound and mature understanding of right-based approach to development and participatory concepts
- and practical experience in similar context.
- Experience with Nigerian Institute for Social & Economic Research (NISER), National Social Safety
- Net Programme (NSSP) will be an added advantage
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language difficulties with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to communicate efficiently (oral and written).
- The ability to work closely in a team, to be patient, adaptable, flexible and able to improvise and work in an environment that is often stressful and potentially volatile.
- Excellent command of the English language
- Understanding of Nigeria social protection space is required
- Experience working with INGO and northeast humanitarian and development context is an advantage
- Understanding of Nigeria’s political complexity is required
Method of Application
All interested consultants should send Expression of Interest electronically before 5 th May 2021 to: email@example.com with subject “EoI_EU_Social Protection Policy Development
Consultancy Service” in order to receive the full ToR. Proposal without request of the full ToR will not accepted.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.