BM’s West Africa Regional Office through its Country Coordination Office located in Abuja, Nigeria, works with 16 partners to implement 25 programmes aimed at improving the quality of life of persons with disabilities in the country. These programmes cover a variety of areas, including eye health, orthopaedics, special education, prevention of deafness…
Read more about this company
Regional Mental Health Advisor, Africa
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 3 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Medical / Healthcare  , NGO/Non-Profit
Reports to: The Mental Health Director, CBM Global
Job Overview and Core Purpose
- This role involves supporting the application of CBM Global standards and organisational strategy into the programme work of CBM, primarily in our core countries in Africa. Strategic direction is defined by the Community Mental Health Plan/Position Papers etc, themselves based on the Federation Strategy.
- Reporting to the Mental Health Director, the position holder is part of the Community Mental Health (CMH) Thematic Area’s Core Team that leads on areas of technical specialism for the organisation globally. Regional work will feed into strategic planning and operational direction, including setting and maintaining of quality in programme implementation and advocacy.
- The core purpose of the role is to support local partners, including where appropriate, through advisors at country level (including consultants) with the information and capacity they need to deliver high quality programming with local partners.
- Based: Nigeria (Abuja), Kenya (Nairobi) or Burkina Faso Country Offices, and we welcome applications from those with the right to work in Nigeria, Kenya or Burkina Faso.
Responsibilities and Duties
- The job holder is responsible for supporting CBM’s CMH work with the following specific responsibilities for our programme in priority countries in Africa, namely Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Zimbabwe, Kenya and Madagascar. In addition, countryspecific or regional/global projects may arise elsewhere.
- Identify fundraising opportunities and develop, in 3-way collaboration with Member Associations and Country Offices, new programmes, both focused on mental health, and integrated into other sectoral work.
- Support Country Offices in delivery, monitoring, evaluation and continued refinement of programmes in alignment with the CBM Global CMH Plan, according to CBM’s operating model.
- Support and where appropriate supervise the work of country CMH focal points and advisors. Recruit and manage consultants as required to fulfil specific assignments.
- Represent CBM in external forums, providing high quality technical advice, and targeted advocacy at appropriate events and through various groups.
- Represent the Thematic Area in internal CBM Global forums and work processes.
- Develop relationships and networks that support the organisation’s mandate and advocacy efforts.
- Manage and report on Regional CMH budgets.
- Other relevant aspects of the work of the CMH Initiative as relevant and within the overall scope of advisory work.
- The position will be based in a CBM Global priority country in Africa, in the Country Office. Significant travel to other countries is expected.
Key Outcomes Expected From This Role
- Work with Member Association Country Offices and partners to develop and successfully grow the CMH programme portfolio.
- Work directly with partners, and supervise and maintain close working relationships with country level Advisors and Focal Points, and Country Offices in Africa, as well as other Regional Advisors.
- Develop learning materials and technical resources that can be used internally and externally to guide and improve programme quality and advocate for global mental health.
- Build the CMH and Mental Health & Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) capacity of CBM staff and partners globally.
- CBM welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and people with lived experience of disability.
- All of the following requirements are essential, unless marked with a * when they are desirable, and will be assessed from a combination of information provided from the application form and interview process.
- Background qualification in Mental Health, Psychiatry, Psychology, Psychosocial Disability, or related field.
- Background and experience in development cooperation and mental health, including in applying relevant tools and methods (project management, data and monitoring and evaluation, inclusive and participatory approaches etc.).
- Minimum of 3 years working experience in a developing country, preferably in Africa.
- Experience in networking, advocacy and influencing with knowledge of key global and continental networks, ideally having played an active part in such networks.
- Experience in working in multidisciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Experience in operational research, and interpretation and application of evidence in practice. Writing reports and guidelines.
- Experience in developing project proposals and successfully achieving funding for projects.
- Experience in teaching/ training/ coaching.
- Experience of managing and supervising others.
- Experience in humanitarian response and MHPSS desirable*.
Skills / Competencies / Personal Qualities
- Strong understanding of disability-inclusive development, and its application to mental health.
- Knowledge and understanding of key players and stakeholders in CMH on global and regional levels.
- English (professional proficiency, spoken and written).
- French (professional proficiency, spoken and written) is desirable*.
- Africa languages would be desirable*.
- Willingness to learn and use CBM project management tools, reporting, statistics formats, Global online etcetera.
- Tools and resources specific to mental health work; QualityRights, mhGAP, transdiagnostic psychological interventions, c in emergencies.
- Good skills in MS Office, including making documents and presentations accessible. Ability to manage budgets in Excel.
- Alignment to CBM Global’s Values
Shortlisting and Interviews:
- CBM Global is an equal opportunities employer, committed to ensuring all applications are treated fairly.
- All applications are subject to our shortlisting process; if you are shortlisted we will contact you and invite you to attend an online interview. You will also be advised at this point if there will be any skills tasks to complete as part of the recruitment process.
Diversity Policy Statement
- Our workplace promotes an inclusive and accessible environment that supports all staff to thrive, with provision of reasonable accommodation for employees with disabilities where needed.
- We believe that the success of any organisation depends upon its people and their diverse abilities, skills, languages, cultures, and backgrounds. The greater diversity in the staffing of people with different lived experiences helps promote innovation, creativity, and smarter solutions to the constantly changing environments in which we work.
- CBM Global is committed to the safety and best interest of all children and vulnerable adults accessing CBM Global supported services and programmes. Relevant background checks including working with children, police and reference checks will be completed prior to the preferred candidate’s employment being confirmed.
- All applicants must have the right to work in the relevant country. All offers of employment are made subject to the following criteria: Proof of eligibility and satisfactory employment screening, and three references satisfactory to CBM Global.
- Salary range: Salary will be dependent on skills and experience, as well as country of location. We offer a local contract.
- We offer a flexible and working from home culture.
- As part of its commitment to its work with people with disabilities, CBM Global aims to help successfully employ and retain people with disabilities and those with health conditions. We have a comprehensive equality and diversity policy.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download, fill and send the completed Application Form along with their Curriculum Vitae (no more than two pages) to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Click Here to Download the Application Form (Ms Word)
Click Here for more Information (PDF)
- You must have the right to work in Nigeria, Kenya or Burkina Faso. We are only able to accept candidates who meet this criteria.
- Please download and complete the Application Form from the advert using the link above. There is space on the Application Form to include a cover letter. Please make sure that you provide specific examples where you meet the essential criteria outlined in the Person Specification, either here or on your CV.
- Informal enquiries are also welcome to the above email address.
- In the subject header of your email it would be helpful if you could add the role title for which you are applying.
- Many of our roles advertised attract large numbers of applicants, and we may not be able to respond to everyone that applies. If we have not been in touch with you within three weeks of the closing date, it is likely that on this occasion we have shortlisted other candidates who meet the criteria more fully.
- We do thank you for your application and your interest in working with CBM Global. Please feel free to apply again in the future for other suitable roles.
- We very much look forward to receiving your application.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.