Pact works across multiple sectors and actors to combat corruption, promote democracy and improve health. Our funding partners run the gamut from the U.S. Government to private foundations to corporations, and our on-the-ground partners include Nigerian ministries and civil society organizations focused on advocacy, democracy and health.
Since 2005, Pact …
Read more about this company
State BF APEA Consultancy
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 8 years
- Location Ebonyi , Sokoto
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Open To: All qualified candidates
Opening Date: Tuesday 6th April 2021
Closing Date: COB WAT April 15th,2021
Location: Ebonyi/ Sokoto
Period of Performance: April – August 2021
Duration: 30 days
Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow for communities challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. On the ground in nearly 40 countries, Pact’s integrated adaptive approach is shaping the future ofinternational development.
Moving Integrated, Quality Maternal, Newborn, Child Health and Family Planning and Reproductive Health (MNCH/FP/RH) Services to Scale (MOMENTUM) Country and Global Leadership is a five-year global project funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and led by Jhpiego to provide targeted MNCH/FP/RH technical and capacity development assistance to countries to facilitate their journeys to self-reliance. MOMENTUM aims to contribute to global technical leadership and learning, and USAID’s policy dialogue for achievement of global MNCH/FP/RH goals through support to globally endorsed MNCH/FP/RH initiatives, strategies, frameworks, guidelines, and action plans.Under the global MOMENTUM program, Pact is collaborating with The Manoff Group (TMG) to support an activity aimed at preventing and mitigating the consequences of violence against women and girls and addressing possible drivers of child early and forced marriage. To achieve its purpose, the Activity is grounded in a socioecological model framework of behavioral change that understands that there are a range of complex drivers and factors that perpetuate sexual violence (SV), intimate partner violence (IPV), and child and early forced marriage (CEFM), as well as early adolescent pregnancy.
As part of a comprehensive package of interventions, the MOMENTUM Nigeria Activity will include a Behaviorally-Focused Applied Political Economy Analysis (BF-APEA). BFAPEA is an approach aimed at helping projects and country partners to understand the underlying incentives, interests, and systemic behaviors that explain the persistence of stubborn, “sticky problems” within complex governance systems. The methodology is aimed at looking beyond “technical,” capacity, and resource-related constraints. Instead, it is directed at making the formal and informal drivers that shape the actions and decisions of key actors transparent and visible. The MOMENTUM Nigeria BF-APEA will contribute to the following intermediate results (IRs):
IR1.1: Increased effectiveness of country institutions and systems to sustainably plan and manage quality IPV, SV, early adolescent pregnancy, CEFM prevention interventions.
IR 4.1: Multi-sectoral partnerships and coordination to respond to and prevent IPV, SV and CEFM
Specifically, the MOMENTUM Nigeria BF-APEA will uncover the complicated factors that limit and enable local leaders to positively influence positive norms and implement laws and policies related to IPV, SV, and CEFM. It will also map specific behaviors that, if practiced, will allow local leaders to play a more constructive role in addressing these harmful social practices.
The State BF-APEA consultants will be responsible for supporting local partners to carry out BF-APEA activities, with one consultant to be hired in both for Ebonyi and Sokoto states. This will entail providing training, mentorship, and accompaniment to local partners to carry out multi-stakeholder workshops and follow-up analysis. It will also include leading key primary data collection activities that complement and fill in knowledge gaps remaining after partner-led workshops. Finally, it will include contributing to the development of final written analytic products that will represent the culmination of the BF-APEA process.
The consultant will report to Pact’s Senior Capacity Development Specialist on the MOMENTUM Nigeria project team. Additional support and guidance will come from Pact’s Global Governance team.
Duties and Responsibilities
The State BF-APEA consultants will work closely with local partners to carry out key aspects of the BF-APEA process. They will also work closely with Pact and TMG staff to document, analyze, and generate findings based on data gathered through the BFAPEA.
Key duties will include the following:
- Participate in remote trainings on the BF-APEA process with Pact and TMG incountry and global staff. The consultants will be responsible for knowing and becoming comfortable with all aspects of the BF-APEA process.
- Support Pact and TMG staff to train local partners on the BF-APEA process. This will include leading certain training activities as well as providing follow-up, demand-driven technical assistance support.
- Support local partners to plan, execute, and document state level, multistakeholder workshops at which barriers and behaviors are mapped, as well as action planning workshops after core BF-APEA findings are generated.
- Conduct primary data collection (i.e. semi-structure key informant interviews and focus group discussions) aimed at understanding key factors that hinder or enable the behavior of “prioritized behaviors” identified through the BF-APEA process. This will require identifying and conducting outreach to respondents for consultations.
- Share field notes and brief analytical memos summarizing findings from primary data collection.
- Participate in collective analysis processes with local partners and Pact and TMG staff to develop “behavior profiles” and action plans.
- Support local partners to plan and conduct final “action planning” workshop(s).
- Local partners trained on BF-APEA process.
- Multi-stakeholder barrier and behavior mapping workshops conducted.
- Primary data into factors related to priority behaviors conducted and field notes/analytical memos capturing findings and observations shared.
- Contributions to the development of final behavior profiles.
- Support to local partners in planning and executing action planning workshop(s).
- Estimated Level of Effort
- We anticipate the level of effort to be equal to or less than 30 days for this assignment. This is an estimated figure, to be discussed and finalized with the identified candidate.
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience participating in or leading qualitative primary data collection.
- Experience conducting training and/or mentorship to local civil society organizations (CSOs), ideally to support CSOs to conduct research or analytic activities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of key structures and stakeholders (including local leadership networks) in target states, i.e. Ebonyi and Sokoto states.
- Ability to produce written reports in English.
- Willingness to consult with and accept feedback from project team members.
- Presence in Nigeria with knowledge of Ebonyi or Sokoto state.
- Located in Ebonyi or Sokoto state.
- Experience related to IPV, SV, CEFM, GBV, or related policy areas.
- Experience designing or implementation social behavior change communication interventions and/or conducting political economy focused research and analysis.
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should submit a C.V., USAID biodata form (which can be found at this web address: https://www.usaid.gov/forms/aid-1420-17), and cover letter (including daily rate) describing their interest and credentials electronically by clicking the Apply Now Button . Individual consultants and consultancy firms are welcome to apply. Please submit all attachments in PDF or Word format, with “State BF-APEA Consultancy” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The deadline for applications is COB WAT April 15th,2021.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.