Since inception in 1944, the World Bank has expanded from a single institution to a closely associated group of five development institutions. Our mission evolved from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) as facilitator of post-war reconstruction and development to the present-day mandate of worldwide poverty alleviation in close …
Read more about this company
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 8 – 10 years
- Location Lagos
- Job Field Finance / Accounting / Audit
Job #: req11399
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language (s): English, French
- We are seeking for a Investment Officer to provide coverage for IFC’s corporate venture investment program across Africa.
- The role will include engaging and enhancing IFC’s strategic positioning in the venture capital space across all relevant industry verticals. S/he will be based in either Lagos, Nigeria or Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and make strategic direct venture investments, VC funds investments, and co-investments for the region in target sectors based on rigorous due diligence of prospective early growth stage ventures, strong technology analysis, business model and financial valuation
- Manage portfolio of direct VC, VC funds investments and co-investments in Africa; helping investees leverage on the resources and expertise of IFC and the broader World Bank Group.
- Participate in and lead negotiations and transaction structuring with potential investee companies;
- Assist in negotiating new investment transactions across emerging markets;
- Lead due diligence for investment decisions;
- Develop market creation initiatives to expand the VC ecosystem in lesser developed parts of the region;
- Establish, build, and maintain strong relationships with the venture ecosystem in the region, including early stage start-ups, venture, corporate and strategic investors and development partners.
- Develop strong relationships with leading African corporations to facilitate connections with portfolio companies for commercial and strategic partnerships
- Conduct analysis of and follow up on new business opportunities and liaise extensively with colleagues across the regions and DC headquarters.
- Lead and support development of sector strategies and market assessment exercise to support business development and portfolio valuation creation efforts.
- At least 8 – 10 years of work experience of which at least 4-6 years of venture capital or private equity experience, ideally with some emerging markets transaction experience preferably in Africa. Prior experience in, investment banking or business / corporate development will be considered;
- Significant transaction experience in and analytical knowledge of venture investing; specific sub-sector knowledge in one of the focused areas a plus (i.e. digital health, e-logistic/ supply chain; edtech; agtech; enterprise software solution, financial services)
- Experience in lead negotiating and structuring complex equity transactions;
- Existing and usable network amongst financial investors and strategic investors in emerging markets;
- Experience in portfolio management, including facilitation of exits. Having prior experience as an investee company board director or operational experience at a venture-backed company is a positive;
- Advanced degree required, MBA from leading international institutions preferred.
- Written competency and spoken language fluency in English, with strong writing and speaking capabilities in French recommended but not required.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills.
Method of Application
Note: Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.
Interested and qualified? Go to World Bank on worldbankgroup.csod.com to apply
Note: Never pay money for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter. Report any such requests to MyJobMag.