Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime
COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale is an humanitarian, non confessional and independent organization that fights against all kinds of poverty to make the world a better place. Founded in 1965 by Vincenzo Barbieri (Italian “father” of international volunteering), COOPI is based in Milan and it has 20 local offices in the South of the World.
Read more about this company
Safety and Security Officer
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 3 years
- Location Yobe
- Job Field Security / Intelligence
Location: Gashua, Yobe
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Safety & Security Officer-SSO is responsible to follow up the security context in COOPI areas of intervention and assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for COOPI employees and visitors, premises, and assets as well as maintaining regular communication with staff during field movement.
- The Security Officer is responsible for ensuring that appropriate systems and procedures are in place to maximize safety and security and that they are adhered to at all times.
- The Safety and Security Officer is responsible for supporting the Northeast Nigeria Security team in Yobe State to ensure that safety and security is mainstreamed into all field operations and that the high-quality information is available for decision making. The incumbent is delegated to propose, define and apply the security rules approved by the Head of Mission.
- He/ she is also in charge of monitoring the security context and preparing factual and analytical reports to assist the HoM in its analysis. The incumbent must conduct an ongoing analysis of the context and any perceived threats, in order to ensure the safe movement of personnel, the safety of all resources and the implementation of programs.
- He / she will provide advice and engage in staff capacity development for all aspects of security.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Mission and under the management of the Logistic Coordinator, he/she:
Policies and Procedures:
- Work with the Country logistic Coordinator and the Head of mission to develop, consolidate, implement, and regularly review operating procedures and security plans.
- Ensure the availability of all the instruments needed to guarantee the security in the area of interventions in Northern Yobe.
- Monitor the security situation in the field, reports to the Head of Mission and to the Country Logistics Coordinator, promptly and effectively report risks and propose mitigation actions
- In coordination with the Country Logistics and the Head of mission, revises and updates the organization’s security tools
Staff and Vehicle Movement:
- In collaboration with the logistics and project team, monitor movement and provide security guidance to international and national staff on the current situation in operational areas.
- Daily track and record all COOPI field movement within Yobe State.
- Serve as focal point with drivers during interstate movement by tracking the location of all vehicles and staff and communicate with COOPI Country Logistic Coordinator/ logistics officers.
- Regularly conduct field visits to assess field site compliance with safety and security procedure during field activities.
- Ensure vehicle and personal tracking systems are appropriate, fully resourced, and operational
Monitoring and Analysis:
- Collect and report information regarding politics and security in Northern Yobe as well as on safety and security issues concerning COOPI.
- Respond to security relevant incidents with information gathering and inform the CCOPI Country Logistic Coordinator and the Head of Mission
- Undertake continual assessments of equipment (including vehicles) and organizational assets to ensure that minimal conditions for security are met. Prevent loss and damage by reporting irregularities; informing violators of policy and procedures.
- Conduct monthly health and safety inspections such as, but not limited to: fire extinguishers, smoke/fire detectors and inspection of COOPI facilities in Yobe State
- Regularly inventory and stock as necessary hibernation kits, first aid kits, and vehicle safety kits, communication gadgets; ensure that staff know what is in the kits and how and when to use them
- Submit regular contextual updates (weekly/monthly situational reports) to the Head of Mission and the Country Logistic coordinator.
- Work closely with COOPI field teams to ensure all incidents and accidents are followed up with an official written Incident Report, which is then shared with relevant stakeholders and filed appropriately.
- Take appropriate measures to secure COOPI premises, personnel, assets, and properties by regularly monitoring and control of COOPI existing security set-up.
- Check that facilities and equipment conform to security norms (closures and doorways are in a good state, open spaces lit up, buildings identified, fire extinguishers present, electrical installations buried, etc.).
- Liaise with other humanitarian actors in the field in order to obtain information on the safety and security situation.
- Gather security incidents concerning areas of operations and organize them in a security incident database (mapping of security incidents, graphics and data)
- Regularly analyze and update COOPI’s vulnerabilities in its areas of intervention;
- Immediate alerts in the event of a drastic change in the context or significant incidents.
- Advise and propose solutions (in particular to improve access to beneficiaries) proactively
Coordination and Networking:
- Maintain a wide professional and personal network of influential actors and clearly communicate COOPI’s status and mission in Yobe State and across NE Nigeria.
- Participate in meetings concerning security
- Create, develop and maintain a contextual and security information and exchange networks in COOPI intervention areas in Yobe State.
- Develop and maintain a safety network with COOPI players already present in the areas of intervention.
- Build acceptance to facilitate continuity of current COOPI programs and any future humanitarian or development programming by liaising with local communities, local authorities and other humanitarian actors and stakeholders within the states.
- Coordinate regularly with the Head of Mission and the Country Logistic Coordinator on safety and security issues and fulfill all reporting requirements.
- Regularly update and monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and ensure their compliance with COOPI security rules;
- Propose, define and write new SOPs when needed on the mission;
- Carry out regular site visits to verify the knowledge, application and validity of SOPs,
- Ensure the proper use, operation, updating of equipment and practical safety measures (safety trunks, safe-rooms, etc.). Correct any problems (explanation-training for staff, implementation, proposals for change or improvement of SOPs, etc.) and report to his superiors on the state of security on the bases;
- Ensure the implementation and respect of the SOPs on the mission, in conjunction with the Logistics Department with regard to their technical and practical application as well as the monitoring of materials related to security;
- Contributes to the development of risk mitigation strategies, including the drafting or adaptation of SOPs to the environment, Safety instructions and Contingency Plans (including Crisis response, Relocation plan, hibernation Relocation Plan and Evacuation Plan),
- Ensure that perimeter security staff (guards) have the capacities to perform their duties as per the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Assist the Country Logistic Coordinator to provide training(s) that may include Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Contingency Plans (CPs), Security Management, Incident Reporting, Prevention and Response Mechanisms, Communications (including satellite phones), and risk/threat analysis.
This ToR shall be inclusive of any other task specifically assigned by the Head of Mission or the Logistic and Security Coordinator for what concerns the implementation of the security and safety actions.
- A Higher National Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Security Operations and Management/ Criminology/ Disaster Management/Public administration/ International relations/Business Administration/Education – Languages or a field related to humanitarian work. A bachelors’ degree in a similar field will be added advantage.
- Mandatory Computer use skills (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and internet)
- Fluency in English (written, spoken, comprehension). Knowledge of local north east language is highly desired (Kanuri).
- Must have completed NYSC service or submit exception certificate
- Training in First Aid and Fire Safety.
- Relevant security management certifications will be added advantage.
- Competent report writing skills.
- Basic Mapping or GIS skills.
- Disaster management and response training/ certification.
Skills & Experience:
- At least 3 years security-related experience with UN/INGOs/CBOs operating in the North East Nigeria either in safety and security, logistics or administration. Relevant experience from any other institution will also be considered.
- Ability to comprehend security-related subjects such as threat/risk assessment, security management, and personal and organizational physical security awareness.
- Previous services with any of the Nigerian Disciplined forces, Certificate of discharge or recommendation from immediate supervisor will be required as proof.
- Proven experience or ability of working effectively in complex security environments and situations with an articulate understanding of the conflict in northeast.
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa and Kanuri).
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Ability to work closely, professionally and constructively with all others regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender, religion, race, tribe, or cultural background.
- Sound judgment/ open-minded and the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and planning skills
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under stressful conditions
- Demonstrated knowledge of the historical and socio-political context of Nigeria.
- Flexibility and ability to work long hours and to be deployed on short notice.
Method of Application
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates from and or living Yobe will be prioritised.
Interested and qualified? Go to COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale on docs.google.com to apply
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Buy 72 Hours to The Job You Love