Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime
DAI works on the frontlines of international development. Transforming ideas into action-action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. We work with a wide range of clients, including national and local …
Read more about this company
Maritime Security Adviser, Support to West Africa Integrated Maritime Security – SWAIMS
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 10 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Security / Intelligence
Job Code: 5689
Inputs: Full time / 362 working days/ 23 months
- DAI is implementing a long-term TA Maritime Security Project in Abuja, Nigeria. The Contracting Authority is the Regional Authorizing Officer (RAO) for the EDF representing the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). The Technical Assistance reports to ECOWAS and the EU Delegation in Abuja.
- The project is multi-country, covering all ECOWAS member States covered by the EU-West Africa regional Indicative Programme (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Côte d’Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo), as well as Mauritania with a specific focus on coastal countries.
- Title of the project: Technical assistance of the ‘Support to West Africa integrated maritime security’ project (SWAIMS)
- The overall objective of the project of which the TA contract is a part is to improve maritime security and safety in the Gulf of Guinea in the ECOWAS Region. The specific objectives of the SWAIMS project are: (1) Governance and law enforcement frameworks are strengthened and prosecution and adjudication of maritime crimes are more successful; and (2) law enforcement operational capacities and responses are strengthened.
- The Technical Assistance has certain general and specific responsibilities to ensure the effective organization of the overall SWAIMS programme and is charge of the operational implementation of specific activities.
- DAI is recruiting for a Maritime Security Adviser to be based full-time in Abuja, Nigeria with missions to the different in the region of the Gulf of Guinea.
- The Expert will support ECOWAS Integrated Maritime Strategy (EIMS) and the Yaoundé process, encouraging regional cooperation in maritime security and ensuring a close coordination with the EU Delegation in Abuja and the ECOWAS Commission.
- Provide technical expertise in the implementation of the different components of SWAIMS Action Document, developing maritime threat assessments, following strategy developments, raising maritime domain awareness, etc.;
- Coordinate the implementation of the activities linked to Result 1.1. Strengthened integrated maritime governance, policies, laws and systems to support maritime security;
- Encourage effective cooperation and donor coordination amongst the regional Yaoundé architecture in Zones E-G: ICC, CRESMAO, and the Multinational Maritime Coordination Centres (MMCC);
- Assist ECOWAS and the EU Delegation in Abuja in problem analysis, stakeholders’ analysis, assessment and communication of best practices in the priority areas of operations and training, legal enforcement and communications /IT;
- Support in the supervision of programme activities entrusted to the PMU, including the visibility strategy in consultation with the Project Coordinator and the expert based at CRESMAO;
- Liaise at regular intervals with the Project Coordinator with the other EU funded projects in the GoG to ensure coherence of action;
- Liaise with other actors involved in maritime security in the region such as the G7++ FoGG, Interpol, UNOCD, bilateral donors, International Maritime Organisation (IMO), etc.;
- Represent the project and participate in meetings.
Qualifications and skills
- University degree (BA or MA or equivalent) in International Law, Public Administration, International Relations or Political Science with a focus on Maritime, Defence or Security Affairs or related fields;
- Excellent command of English and at least good command of French (or vice versa) as well as good reporting and communication skills in both languages (written and spoken). Knowledge of Portuguese is considered an asset;
General professional experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of working experience in maritime administration, Coast Guard or Navy, or any field related to maritime security; more than 12 years would be considered an asset;
- Good understanding of the maritime security challenges in the Gulf of Guinea. Work experience in at least two Gulf of Guinea Countries demonstrated by having been team member of at least 1 assignment in the region;
- Experience working on inter-agency/administration cooperation especially with ECOWAS will be a strong asset;
- Experience in EDF financial and procurement procedures as well as construction of logical frameworks will be an asset;
- Experience in international cooperation and possibly of international projects implementation.
Specific professional experience:
- Excellent understanding of capacity building and administrative reforms;
- Strong capacities in devising strategies;
- Strong ability to evolve in a political and sensitive environment.
Method of Application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to request additional information.
- Applications will be reviewed as received.
Interested and qualified? Go to DAI on phf.tbe.taleo.net to apply
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Buy 72 Hours to The Job You Love