Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime
The Natural Resource Governance Institute, an independent, non-profit organization, helps people to realize the benefits of their countries’ oil, gas and mineral wealth through applied research, and innovative approaches to capacity development, technical advice and advocacy.
Read more about this company
Senior Analyst Nigeria
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 5 – 8 years
- Location Lagos
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
- NRGI is looking for a Senior Analyst who will lead analytical work and stakeholder outreach on resource governance in Nigeria. The successful candidate for the post of Senior Analyst will have deep knowledge of the oil sector in Nigeria, including the political economy of oil and gas and the sector’s many ties to the local economy.
- They will be an excellent facilitator, networker, relationship builder and diplomat, capable of bringing senior stakeholders together to advance strategies for governance of the oil sector in Nigeria.The Senior Analyst brings technical understanding in extractives, economics and governance to generate expert analysis, research and policy advice vital to NRGIs work in driving Nigeria.
- With an economic background in the extractives industry, s/he will contribute to advocacy, capacity building and technical assistance efforts. The Senior Analyst will build strategic and productive relationships with regional bodies, development partners, leaders in government and civil society, and private sector.
Research & Thought Leadership:
- Advance the learning, expertise, and body of evidence-based knowledge to drive impact in natural resource governance and sustainable, inclusive development.
- Keep up to date on region & global trends, developments, and key international issues in governance and extractives. Stay informed on the full breadth of relevant research and learnings internally and externally to frame the economic viewpoint on governance progress in Africa.
- Conduct and lead strategic analysis, including quantitative analysis, data synthesis, and research to develop and adapt economic and financial models for Africa and target countries. Lead evidence translation, generation, and dissemination; grow NRGI body of knowledge in collaboration with external partners.
- Publish for impact:
- Write, review and publish research findings, opinion pieces and policy briefs; support country staff by reviewing and signing-off on key economic analysis & work products
- Provide expert advisory services / communicate expert opinion
- Participate in peer reviews and contribute towards partner events and publishing.
Ensuring Impactful Implementation:
- Manage and run projects, engaging NRGI and partner capabilities to maximize impact and capacity for good governance.
- Participate in Nigeria strategic planning & design, ensuring cohesiveness across programs:
- Provide analytic inputs for strategic, program, and annual planning; identify evidence and information gaps that need to be prioritized
- Help devise strategies and programs incorporating economic analysis to impact NRGI’s four strategic work areas: getting a good deal; managing revenues; navigating the energy transition; addressing corruption and state capture.
- Engage in capacity building and targeted technical assistance in-line the Nigeria program strategies:
- Design and run technical assistance programs and projects, directly engaging with and advising prominent leaders
- Help design, develop and deliver training, conferences, and workshops; and facilitate dialogs and discussion panels in areas of expertise.
- Apply Project Management discipline to effectively manage and coordinate projects:
- Develop detailed plans and timelines, including milestones for M&E; adapt plans to maximise impact; respond proactively to opportunities and problems
- Procure, manage, and lead consultants
- Manage budgets and expenses; ensure timely reporting
- Ensure compliance to standards and policies: financial, data, and technical.
- Fully integrate MEL in design and implementation. Review whether desired results were achieved and foster learning and improvement:
- Develop the MEL framework; tailor for specific donors
- Participate in learning reviews and determine how to adapt future projects
- Assess quality of implementations and program designs
- Understand & document best practice; promote / scale up successful approaches
- Design and pilot new tools & approaches.
Fundraising & Donor Relations:
- Build strong donor relations that deliver mutual value and generate sustainable funding.
- Build quality relationships of mutual trust with current and potential donors; help identify potential donors and funding sources. Ensure full understanding of donor priorities and engage proactively in collaborative programming.
- Contribute to the development of proposals to secure funding, particularly where relevant to economic analysis and impact.
Influencing & Communicating for Impact:
- Strengthen NRGI presence in Nigeria and deliver gains in the transformation of practices in natural resource governance through effective influencing, advocacy and communication strategies.
- Participate in in-depth stakeholder analysis, planning and influence management.
- Effectively use media and communication platforms/tools to reach target audiences and generate awareness and understanding that translates into impactful engagement. Monitor and evaluate communications and advocacy efforts to ensure they are having the required impact and are implemented to standard.
- Roll out Advocacy & Communication Strategies:
- Produce tailored materials and approaches for influencing key stakeholders
- Develop information and education campaigns
- Hold dissemination events
- Contribute and report on impact / success stories
- Develop and implement innovative approaches to reach target groups
- Personally contribute towards the implementation of Advocacy & Communication strategies:
- Participate in networking events and other opportunities to build relationship
- Meet with stakeholders to progress agendas
- Effectively engage with media and social media to communicate vital messages
- Speak at conferences & events.
Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in relevant field (public policy, finance, law, international affairs, or engineering etc.).
Experience & Technical Skills Required:
- Minimum 7-8 years’ experience working as analyst in resource governance, with an economics qualification an advantage
- At least 5 years’ experience working on extractive industry governance or at least one of the following fields: taxation, public financial management, state owned enterprise management, or energy transition.
- Deep understanding of the interplay between regulations, government, and commercial activities; familiarity with country, regional and global initiatives aiming to improve good governance in the extractive industries sector.
- Excellent quantitative analysis skills
- Experience providing pragmatic technical assistance on complex policy or business issues to decision-makers.Ability to deliver trainings and other capacity development interventions to a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Possess the gravitas, credibility and ability to initiate and develop strategic relationships and influence key stakeholders.
- Ability to think conceptually and strategically with a 3-5 year horizon.
- Experience managing and allocating resources efficiently.
- Excellent writing, speaking, and presentation skills. Excellent cross-cultural communication skills, including ability and/or interest in engaging with the media and using social media (e.g., Twitter) to connect NRGI’s work to relevant current affairs.
- Starts with flexible working arrangement until Nigeria office is established. Regular virtual meetings with regional andcountry and research, data and learning teams and consultants/vendors. International travels subject to the prevailing NRGI’s Covid-19 guidelines.
Method of Application
- Applications should be submitted by way of a covering letter and an up to date CV. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis.
- NRGI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NRGI considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, gender, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Interested and qualified? Go to Natural Resource Governance Institute on naturalresourcegovernanceinstitute.applytojob.com to apply
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love