Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist person on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and…
Read more about this company
Senior Manager, Vector Control
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 7 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Medical / Healthcare  , NGO/Non-Profit
Required Languages – English
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 50%.
Supervisory Responsibilities: ICT4D Specialist, Project Officer – Mass campaign
- CRS has a long and rich history of collaboration with the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (Global Fund). In Nigeria, CRS has been a Co-Principal Recipient (PR) for the Global Fund Malaria grant since January 2017. As a Co-PR, CRS partnered with the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP), various state governments and malaria partners and stakeholders to coordinate and implement the 2017 long lasting insecticidal nets (LLIN) mass campaigns in 6 states. CRS also supervised and monitored an SR and supported a range of malaria treatment and prevention services at the state level.
- For the 2018-2020 Global Fund Malaria grant, CRS remained a Co-PR with NMEP, strengthening the synergy and collaboration with NMEP to improve efficiency and impact. CRS worked closely with NMEP, Society for Family Health (SFH), Malaria Consortium, various state governments and other stakeholders to coordinate and implement the 2018-2020 long lasting insecticidal net (LLIN) mass campaigns in 13 states. CRS provided oversight and ICT4D leadership for the ITN campaigns and implemented directly in some of the states. In addition to SFH, CRS provided oversight to 2 other SRs (Management Sciences for Health and Malaria Consortium), in providing support to the 13 states supported by the Global Fund, for a range of malaria treatment and prevention services at the state level. These services included Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention (SMC) implemented by Malaria Consortium with oversight from CRS.
- For the 2021-2023 Global Fund Malaria grant, CRS will remain a Co-PR with NMEP and provide robust oversight to the 3 SRs (Society for Family Health, Management Sciences for Health and Malaria Consortium). CRS will work closely with NMEP, 3 SRs and other partners, to scale up the implementation of life saving interventions and improve access to quality malaria services in the 13 GF supported states. These critical interventions include malaria treatment and prevention services such as Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention, ITN campaigns, Social and Behaviour Change campaign, and testing and treatment interventions.
- The Senior Manager, Vector Control will provide technical leadership and oversight for the implementation of the Global Fund Malaria Program ITN mass campaign, continuous ITN distribution activities and use of ICT4D for ITN mass campaigns. She will oversee training, accompaniment and technical support to the SMoH in the campaign states and will liaise with counterparts in Federal and State Ministries of Health to ensure adherence of the campaigns to the national strategies and operational guidelines for ITN mass campaigns and continuous ITN distribution in Nigeria.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- With key program staff and stakeholders, ensure the Global Fund Malaria Program’s strategic objectives for Insecticide Treated Net (ITN) mass campaigns and continuous distribution with regards to malaria prevention are fully accomplished and meet expected technical quality standards.
- Provide leadership in the planning and coordination of malaria prevention activities (ITN mass campaigns and routine distribution) in the focal states, ensuring activities are implemented on schedule and meet relevant national guidelines.
- Provide oversight to sub-recipients (SRs) during planning and implementation of malaria prevention interventions, ensuring activities are implemented according to national guideline, SOPs and GF policies to achieve quality standards and objectives.
- Lead the recruitment of ICT4D specialist, project officer-mass campaign and ICT4D officers in-line with CRS HR policy and job responsibilities.
- Ensure that the recruitment, supervision and management of the Work Stream Advisors, consultants (Campaign Technical Assistant Team (CTAT) consultants and ICT4D), adhoc staff (LGA coordinators, Training and Technology Administrators (TTA), finance support and drivers) are completed in an effective and efficient manner, and in line with the selection criteria outlined by the CRS/LLIN campaign national guideline.
- Oversee the ICT4D team, in identifying and implementing technology solutions to improve program efficiencies and ensure that the Cash and Asset Transfer (CAT) Strategy is successfully implemented.
- Lead the design of an advocacy plan for the ITN mass campaigns, identifying strategies to engage, influence and mobilize different constituencies, including political, business, religious and community leaders with the aim to facilitate smooth mass campaigns and support the fight against malaria in Nigeria.
- Oversee the roll out and dissemination of updated NMEP approved guidelines, standard operating procedures and other job-aids for malaria prevention.
- Liaise and coordinate the activities of the unit responsible for paying allowances to the training/meeting participants and campaign implementation personnel to ensure their timely payment of all allowances.
- Contribute to development of strategies to reach those in remote locations and “hard-to-reach” populations, vulnerable population and people in complex operating environment (COE).
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Track progress towards relevant performance indicators, analyzing reasons for shortfalls and adapting program strategies as needed.
- Oversee the design and implementation of feedback and response channels to enhance accountability of program vis-à-vis beneficiaries of the ITN mass campaign services.
- In collaboration with program staff, provide guidance and technical oversight to partners and other collaborating agencies to ensure that lessons learned and best practices for the implementation of ITN mass campaigns are documented and disseminated.
- Facilitate learning exchanges among SRs and government ministries on malaria prevention and support quality improvement initiatives.
- Coordinate learning sessions across GF malaria units and between projects in CRS to share ideas and improve programme quality
Management and Administration:
- Support elaboration of Program Update/Disbursement Requests (PU/DR) in collaboration with other program staff.
- Review reports on the ITN mass campaign activities, provide feedback on implementation progress and performance, identify solutions to address challenges and weaknesses.
- Ensure implementation of activities in compliance with all GoN, CRS and Global Fund administrative and operational procedures and policies, as well as applicable donor regulations.
- Supervise and manage vector control team (ICT4D specialist, project officer-mass campaign and ICT4D officers) in an effective and efficient manner to meet the unit’s objectives and overall grant objectives.
- Support other CRS projects (locally and internationally) with technical capacity through TDY to build capacity of CRS staff in order to achieve project objectives and improved outcomes
Representation and Advocacy:
- Coordinate closely with the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) and State Ministries of Health to plan ITN mass campaign activities and ensure that the national guidelines are being appropriately and consistently applied.
- In collaboration with NMEP’s IVM Unit, other malaria partners and SMoHs, contribute to the development and implementation of tools, approaches and strategies to strengthen the implementation of mass campaigns in the country.
- Support national programme in the development, review and update of national guidelines, polices, job-aids, manuals and SOP for malaria prevention and control interventions
- Liaise with technical counterparts in the Ministry of Health at Federal and State levels, other Principal Recipients, SRs and other local and international stakeholders engaged in malaria activities in Nigeria and participate actively in relevant technical meetings and commitments.
- Represent CRS at relevant technical working groups, sectoral meetings and coordination forums.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Global Fund Malaria Program Team, Deputy Country Representative, Country Representative, Head of Operations, Finance, Procurement and Administration Staff, Regional and Senior Technical Advisors, Deputy Regional Directors for PQ and MQ
- External: Global Fund’s Fund Portfolio Manager and Nigeria Country Team, SRs, State Ministries of Health (SMoH), National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) within the Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH), Technical and Financial Partners, partner health facilities, Local Fund Agent (LFA)
Qualifications and Skills
- Advanced degree in a relevant field such as Medical / Nursing Sciences, Community Health, Health Education, Public Health or related field preferred. Or University degree in the above fields with ten years of relevant professional experience
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in malaria programming and provision of technical assistance to government and non-government partners
- Significant experience in supporting and coordinating ITN mass campaigns in Nigeria within the last 4 years.
- At least three (3) years’ experience managing programs funded by the Global Fund, USAID (or other US government), DFID, and/or the UN is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to plan and deliver trainings on ITN mass campaign implementation.
- Proven leadership and inter-personal skills and ability to work well both within a team and independently
- Experience working with federal and state government and an understanding of the health system in Nigeria
- Strong representational skills and ability to interface with multiple stakeholders, representatives, and partners (including representatives of government agencies) in a professional manner on an ongoing basis
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure and to prioritize competing demands
- Strategic, analytical and decision-making skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Professional proficiency in English oral and written communication skills; strong demonstrated writing skills required (reports, evaluations)
- Willingness and ability to travel in-country (sometimes on short notice) up to 75% of the time.
Method of Application
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love