Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime
54gene was founded in 2019 by Dr. Abasi Ene-Obong to address the significant gap in the global genomics market: Nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is caucasian. Only 2% is African, despite the fact that Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined.
Read more about this company
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification PhD/Fellowship
- Experience 7 – 10 years
- Location Lagos
- Job Field Science
- We are searching for a passionately curious Anthropologist to join our growing team
- The Anthropologist should be able to detect understudied subject matter, develop appropriate investigative procedures and then conduct these to obtain nuanced insights into everyday experiences
- S/he should also be able to disseminate the results of these studies in a bid to promote the accessibility of social scientific information.
- To be successful in this role, the Anthropologist should be culturally aware and adept at interacting with individuals, especially within the Nigerian and/or African context and landscape as well as have a solid grasp of the culture’s underpinnings
- Ultimately, the Anthropologist should be able to create safe and interactive spaces that center participants’ experiences.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Create research plans that address underrepresented topics such as the impact of language, ethnicity, cultural norms and livelihoods in given African populations
- Execute research protocols that adopt a holistic study design – must be familiar with anthropology research tools such as ethnography, survey writing, and interviewing
- Communicate research findings to internal stakeholders
- Be the internal knowledge expert on cultural anthropology and and seek to understand how cultural anthropology can improve 54gene’s products and services
- Promote the co-creation of information by employing participatory approaches
- Facilitate access to Anthropological concepts through demystification and open conversations
- Follow new publications related to anthropology and participate in meaningful discussions both internally and externally that enables 54gene and the wider healthcare community to make an impact
- Collaborate with local and international peers to generate and share knowledge on anthropological concepts in Africa and the African diaspora
- Complete investigations and publish research papers and journal articles
- Encourage respect for the observation and the sharing of human experiences.
Education & Certifications:
- Advanced Degree in Anthropology, Medicine, Social Work, Psychology or similar field + internship / practicum experience; required
- Ph.D in Anthropology, Medicine, Social Work, Psychology or similar field; desired
- 7 – 10 years of experience as an Anthropologist in an organization with similar expectations
- Familiarity with Anthropological insights, values, and research approaches
- Proven record of completing investigations and publishing technical works [research papers and journal articles] and engaging in science communication
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent primary and secondary research skills as well as specific anthropological research tools such as ethnography
- Ability to craft and conduct large-scale, relevant studies
- Knowledge of and the ability to train others in the application of ethnographic research methods to solve problems in organizational effectiveness, communications, technology development, policy-making, and program planning
- Strong grasp of appropriate data analysis techniques
- Clear and flexible verbal, written and telephonic communication skills
- Ability to be flexible, versatile, adaptable and take initiative
- Strong presentation skills, proven ability to communicate with diverse audiences, internally and externally
- Ability to successfully collaborate cross-functionally with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization, including researchers, clinicians and technical personnel
- Cognizant and welcoming of differences in the human condition.
- Willingness to travel if required.
Method of Application
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love