Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations working in approximately 94 countries worldwide to find solutions to poverty and what it considers injustice around the world. In all Oxfam’s actions, the ultimate goal is to enable people to exercise their rights and manage their own lives. Oxfam works directly with communities and seeks to influen…
Read more about this company
Gender and Livelihood Officer
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 3 – 5 years
- Location Taraba
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Req ID: 7670
Internal Job Grade: D1
Contract Type: 1 Year Fixed Term
Reporting to: Project Manager
Staff Reporting to this post: None
Key Relationship/interactions: Other Project officers, gender coordinator, PMMU staff
- To build the resilience of small scale farmers, fishermen, and livestock owners (women, youth, and vulnerable households) in the commodity value chain and rural enterprise.
- To ensure gender considerations, women empowerment forms an integrated core of the PROSELL implementation.
- To also provide technical expertise on gender & livelihood programming and other related functions to improve the livelihoods of women and men small scale farmers, fishermen/women, and livestock owners in Taraba State.
- Provide advice and support to the Project Manager and the Technical Officers working within the respective field offices in the implementation of the key gender components across the PROSELL Project.
- Provide technical support to the project team to ensure gender mainstreaming in all activities in line with the project’s gender strategy.
- Provide specialist advice on gender-sensitive planning and mainstreaming to all Project officers and other staff.
- Support, coach, mentor, and advise Partners’ technical staff to implement and mainstream gender into project activities.
- Liaise with project partners and other stakeholders in the project location to facilitate and enhance contribution towards the implementation of the gender equality agenda.
- Support advocacy activities on gender matters to key stakeholders in collaboration with partners and other interest groups that are relevant to the PROSELL project
- Improve networking and coordination with key stakeholders to ensure the promotion of gender equality in the project locations and across the state.
- Represent PROSELL project in gender-related meetings and consultations that are relevant and would add value to project implementation.
- Assist in the development of case studies, best practices, and key learning on gender mainstreaming and integration into PROSELL project including generating success stories related to project and project developments as they relate to gender equality issues to feed into the linking and learning objectives of Oxfam.
- Aid in data collection, compiling lessons learned, establishing indicators to support knowledge sharing. Support in updating and sharing with staff recent developments and knowledge tools in the areas of interventions.
- Analyse and ensure interventions are gender-sensitive and factor in issues of inclusion of normally socially excluded groups.
- Provide regular brief updates on the development of gender-related issues in the project areas.
- Ensure regular and comprehensive monitoring for reporting on the gender-related indicators in the project areas in consultation with the Project Manager and in line with donor requirements.
- Perform other work-related outputs as requested by the Project Manager.
- Coordinate the Livelihood component of project development activities for the PROSELL project.
- Organize and support livelihood project activities through partner staff involved in the implementation of project activities.
- Organise and lead key project development activities to ensure quality planning and implementation are carried out within the framework of the project.
- Ensure effective engagement and relationship management with project partners, community leaders and groups, government institutions and other relevant, strategic/key sectoral actors for effective and sustainable delivery of the gender & livelihood component of the project delivery.
- Assist the Project Manager in recruiting and line managing private consultants for specific short-term assignments related to livelihood, including facilitating the development of their work plans, monitor their fieldwork, and organize debriefing sessions with consultants.
- Maintain effective communication on the progress of the project and ensure project learning in relation to Gender and Livelihood is documented for communication with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders in consultation with the Project Manager.
- Carry out periodic monitoring visits to project partners and project implementation sites, verify outputs indicated in progress reports submitted to Oxfam by partners and produce project activity and progress reports. Support the development of reports for the donor as well as reports for wider circulation within Oxfam in consultation with Project Manager – as appropriate.
- Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety, and staff health and wellbeing principles.
Job Requirements / Person specification
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Gender Studies, Law, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, project management or related fields with 3 – 5 years relevant experience of working in Northern Nigeria on gender related projects.
- Comprehensive understanding of international, regional, and national legal frameworks and policies related to advancing gender equality and promoting women’s rights.
- Ability to generate and communicate gender-related information for a variety of audiences to enhance understanding of gender integration and mainstreaming goals of the PROSELL project
- Experienced in generating new ideas and approaches, researches, best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of promoting gender equality in patriarchal communities and especially in Northern Nigeria
- Working experience in supporting development programmes, specifically Livelihood-related interventions – preferably within the NGOs sector.
- Contributes to results through primary research and analysis
- Maintains an established network within the gender community in Taraba State and nationally for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date in new developments
- Able to formulate written information clearly and persuasively
- Establishing effective client relationships
- Possesses a proactive, problem solving, and result-oriented attitude.
- Good reporting and writing skills.
- Excellent computer skills and office software packages.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Hausa language.
- Knowledge and / or experience of common Oxfam norms objects, standards and tools
- Knowledge or appreciation of Nigeria in terms of its political, economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development and humanitarian issues in the region
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who meet Oxfam are as safe as possible..
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Method of Application
- All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.
- Due to the urgency of this vacancy, applications will be reviewed as received and the vacancy could be closed earlier than the date indicated.
- Qualified Female Candidates Are Strongly Encouraged To Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Oxfam on career2.successfactors.eu to apply
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love