At Chemonics, we believe our mission of helping people live healthier, more productive, and more independent lives is driven by our commitment to service-service to our mission, to our beneficiaries, to our clients, and to our staff.
From our founding in 1975, we have worked in more than 150 countries to help our clients, partners, and beneficiaries face…
Read more about this company
- Job Type Full Time
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Security / Intelligence
Scope of Work
- This Scope of Work (SOW) sets forth the services to be provided by the Security Advisor to SAII Associates Ltd/Gte, an Associate company of Chemonics International Inc. in the implementation of the USAID Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) in Nigeria.
- The purpose of the USAID Global Health Supply Chain Program –Procurement and Supply Management single award IDIQ contract is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities to prevent suffering, save lives, and create a brighter future for families around the world
- The IDIQ has four task orders that directly support the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), and USAID’s family planning and reproductive health program
- GHSC-PSM provides health commodity procurement services and systems strengthening technical assistance that address all elements of a comprehensive supply chain
- All four task orders are implemented in Nigeria, with a scope of work that spans all 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
- The objective of the Security Advisor position is to assist in the development of security protocols for project operations in Nigeria and keep project teams informed with up-to-date local information that affects security procedures and day-to-day operations
- S/he will be responsible for supporting operations in the field and assisting the Security Manager in the management of the overall security platform.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Assist the Security Manager in the management of the overall project security platform, including risk assessment, stakeholder engagement, physical security, journey management, staff training, security reporting, emergency preparedness and incident response.
- Monitor the local environment in the areas of operations assigned to the position and recommend to the Security Manager changes in security posture when necessary.
- Maintain strategic relationships with key government ministries and the Nigerian security sector, including developing relationships with local security professionals, NGO/IP security managers, and security forces for the purpose of enhancing intelligence gathering capabilities and support networks.
- Carry out regular meetings with the field programs, the warehousing and distribution, and the campaign teams to remain apprised of their activities and provide necessary security support.
- Conduct regular trips to the field to support field programs staff and provide input for commodity distribution activities, including carrying out risk assessments and security liaison activities as directed.
- Provide timely reports to the Security Manager on developing security situations, incidents, or any special security concerns and issues.
- In accordance with established protocol, disseminate special security guidance and advisories to staff within the position portfolio.
- Contribute expert local knowledge to routine reports and briefings developed by the GHSC-PSM Nigeria security team.
- Support travel management plan, including carrying out trip planning for special travel requirements and reviewing and approving staff travel as directed.
- Assist in the management of physical security measures for the project, including at the main office in Abuja, at international staff residences, and at locations where regional staff are based.
- In coordination with the Security Manager, manage project emergency preparedness and emergency response planning, including at the regional level.
- Carry out staff training as directed, including security orientations, travel briefings, safety drills, and other special training as determined necessary by the security team.
- Participate in meetings with the home office Security Management Unit, providing updates on-field activities and areas of significant risk.
- Assist the Security Manager in performing departmental audits within stipulated timeframes and implementing recommending corrector actions according to the findings.
- Remain on-call 24-hours a day and 7 days a week to respond to security incidents in accordance with the security team’s duty roster.
- Assist in the management of any security incidents, including coordinating security response actions and ensuring timely reporting.
- The Security Advisor will report directly to the GHSC-PSM Nigeria Security Manager
- The Security Advisor will also conduct check-ins with Chemonics home office Security Management Unit (SMU) as necessary
- The Chemonics SMU will provide overall strategic support to the GHSC-PSM Nigeria security platform and will serve as the key focal point for decisions that impact the entire security platform and in cases of emergency.
- Nigerian citizen / resident required;
- Demonstrated ability to generate and leverage network connections in Nigeria to promote an accurate and timely understanding of the security context in Nigeria;
- Prior professional experience working in law enforcement or military coupled with private sector work experience preferred;
- Proven expertise in Nigerian security issues, including current threat environment, security policy, key actors, risk assessment, and best practices;
- Five or more years’ experience in management and oversight of security platforms that were implemented in Nigeria and utilized low-profile techniques;
- Demonstrated ability to produce security deliverables and documentation, such as security risk assessments, site assessments, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and briefing documents;
- Experience providing security oversight to an international donor program desirable;
- Ability to report to and coordinate with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external;
- Experience in training civilians on safety and security measures;
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Basic Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Fluency in English is required.
Working Conditions / Duration of Assignment
- This is a long-term position for the life of the contract, based in Abuja, Nigeria with frequent travels to other states in Nigeria.