Adam Smith International is an award-winning global company that delivers impact, value and lasting change through economic growth and government reform. Our reputation as a global leader has been built on the positive results our projects have achieved in many of the world’s most challenging environments.
Adam Smith International has a strong corporate presence globally, with 146 current projects across 49 countries and over 1,000 staff and associates. Headquartered in London, our regional offices are based in Africa (Nairobi, Abuja and Pretoria), Asia Pacific (Sydney) and South Asia (Delhi), with numerous registered offices across Africa and Asia.
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job Field
Location: Abeokuta, Ogun
Position Type: Full-Time
Commencement: March 2020
- In 2015, the UK government created a new Cross-Government Prosperity Fund in order to help promote economic growth in emerging economies. The Global Future Cities Programme (GFCP) is a specific component of the Prosperity Fund which aims to carry out targeted interventions to encourage sustainable urban development and increase prosperity whilst alleviating high levels of urban poverty.
- The Global Future Cities Programme builds upon three integrated pillars that will address key barriers to prosperity, in selected cities:
- Urban planning – technical assistance for spatial restructuring
- Transportation – technical assistance to support cities to develop integrated transport systems
- Resilience – technical assistance to develop strategies to address the impact of climate change and ensure development is sustainable
- The Global Future Cities Prosperity Fund programme in Nigeria covers two cities: Lagos and Abeokuta, with four projects having been identified:
- Guidelines for Urban Renewal Programmes in Lagos
- Feasibility Study for the development of water transport in Lagos
- Preparation of a Master Plan & Guidelines for Urban Renewal in Abeokuta
- Preparation of a Public Transport Policy for Abeokuta
- The first intervention aims to provide technical assistance to the development of a Master Plan for greater Abeokuta, including a framework guiding urban renewal projects and upgrading informal settlements.
About the Role
- ASI is looking to recruit a Programme Manager to support the delivery of Future Cities Nigeria (FCN). The Programme Manager is an integral part of the FCN’s project management team.
- The Manager will deliver on responsibilities (outlined below) by working collaboratively with the FCN Project Management Unit and Abeokuta Urban Master Plan team.
- They will be responsible for the development and implementation of operational aspects of the Abeokuta urban programme, particularly those concerning the facilitation of project development work. This will include managing consortium partners, commissioning technical specialists and; quality assuring the outputs produced and recommendations made to government partners.
Day-to-day responsibilities of the Programme Manager are expected to include:
- Facilitating the implementation of the strategic vision articulated by the Team Leader, Intervention Lead and donor partners;
- Overseeing government engagement and programme implementation activities, and facilitating the engagement of consortium partners to support key programme activities;
- Acting as member of the programme’s Senior Management Team, taking decisions on programme strategy, approval of spending on projects and resource planning;
- Providing financial oversight of Abeokuta urban intervention including maintenance of a resource burn-rate, an accurate financial forecast and provision of other management reports;
- Working with the senior programme staff to prepare annual/quarterly work plans;
- Coordinating cross-cutting staff to support effective implementation of the Abeokuta urban intervention;
- Providing project support to specialists and consultants (including quality assurance); and
- Assisting in the implementation of the M&E system.
The Programme Manager requires the following experience, skills and qualifications:
- Relevant post-graduate qualifications (Economics, Law, Public Policy, Urban Development);
- 5+ years’ experience leading and managing the implementation of programmes in complex development settings;
- Highly developed programme management and planning skills;
- Knowledge of M&E systems for UK-Gov funded programmes;
- Proven capability in seeking and implementing creative and innovative solutions to challenges;
- Proven experience leading and managing teams of senior-level specialists;
- Successful experience working within culturally and politically diverse institutions;
- Excellent stakeholder engagement, communication, and relationship management skills;
- Knowledge and experience in working with the institutional structures and key stakeholders in the infrastructure sector; and
- Knowledge and understanding of UK-Gov aid policies and strategies would be advantageous.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expressions of Interest with CV of no more than 3-pages and a short Covering Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Job title” as subject of the email.
Note: Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted.