- Location(s): • Adamawa, — Nigeria
- Specialization: • Agriculture / Agro Allied
- Industry: • NGO / International Agencies
- Application Deadline: January 09, 2020
- Job Type Fulltime
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is recruiting for fulltime Consultant – Livestock Value Chain And Market Analysis.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Livestock Value Chain and Market Analysis
Ref. Code: LVM121219
- USAID Nigeria awarded the 3-years WATER FOR AGRICULTURE ACTIVITY to Catholic Relief Services – Nigeria Program on July 15, 2019. The goal of this activity is to develop and implement interventions that will sustainably increase water availability and management towards increasing agricultural productivity of smallholder crop farmers and livestock herders in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe (BAY) states in Northeast Nigeria
- This effort will contribute to CRS’ agriculture and livelihoods signature program area and ongoing efforts to promote resilience, recovery and development within Nigeria and neighboring Lake Chad Basin countries.
- WFA will target at least 50,000 livestock herders and 4,000 smallholder farmers across 7 Local Government Areas (LGAs) – Jakusko and Bursari in Yobe State; Kaga, Biu and Kwaya Kusar in Borno State; and Gombi and Mayo Belwa in Adamawa State
- WFA will improve access to water for smallholder farmers and livestock herders while strengthening water governance and improving their farm and livestock productivity through market-driven approaches.
The specific objectives of the study are as follows:
- To gain an overview of the livestock sector, including the production system and productivity;
- To characterize the livestock holdings of herding households in the selected grazing reserves;
- To determine basic characteristics of the socio-economic conditions and livelihoods of the herding households in the selected grazing reserves; and
- To analyze and map the major livestock value chain activities in the selected grazing reserves. These activities may include, but are not limited to livestock rearing, green pasture production, livestock feed processing, meat processing, milk production, milk processing, cottage yogurt production, etc.
The successful consultant will undertake the following:
- Carry out a desk review of available livestock sector data in the BAY states and local government areas.
- Recruit and train qualified enumerators for the field exercise.
- Supervise all aspects of data collection.
- Carry out data analysis and interpretation.
- Submit inception report, first and final drafts of reports of the study.
Min Required Experience:
- A University Degree in Animal Science, Animal Production & Health, Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine or any other related course.
- A relevant Postgraduate Degree in Animal Science, Agric Economics or other relevant fields with 10 years post graduate experience.
- The consultant should be registered and up to date in the membership of a relevant professional body.
- The consultant should also have good working knowledge of livestock value chain and market analysis.
- The consultant should have vast experience in conducting research, use of data collection tools.
- The consultant should be conversant with the working conditions of the project location.
- Knowledge of English language and excellent English writing skills are mandatory.
- Capacity to self-manage, work independently and remotely and deliver on time.
- Excellent organizational skills, including time management, and ability to work independently (seeking clarification when needed in a timely manner) and to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Experience in a similar role with an INGO or a USAID-funded project is desirable.
- CRS will pay a consultancy fee based upon a mutually agreeable daily consultancy rate. Logistics for field trips will be arranged separately. CRS will reimburse operational and logistical costs if they are identified and approved by the Consultancy Manager in advance.
- Please note that CRS will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) a 5% or 10% withholding Tax from the total consultancy fees for individuals or organizations in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
Application Closing Date
5:00pm; 9th January, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates (Consultants) should send their Expression of Interest (EOI) along with a detailed Resume as one document in PDF, indicating the consultancy being applied for and the Job Ref Code as the subject of the application (e.g. Consultancy for Livestock Value Chain and Market Analysis – LVM121219) and attach MS Word documents to: email@example.com
Click Here for Job Details (Drop-box)
- The EOI should include but not limited to the following: Expected daily rate, personal/company profile, skills, competencies and suitability for the assignment as well as readiness for immediate short-term consultancy plus a copy of such previous work.
- Only qualified persons will be contacted and invited for screening
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Employer Opportunity:
- “CRS is an equal –opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, colour, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviours related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’.