- Location(s): • Borno, North East Towns: −Maiduguri — Nigeria
- Specialization: • Medical/ Health
- Industry: • NGO / International Agencies
- Application Deadline: December 20, 2019
- Job Type Fulltime
International Rescue Committee (IRC) is recruiting for fulltime EH/WASH Infrastructure Officer.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: EH/WASH Infrastructure Officer
Requisition ID: req7399
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s emergency response team, with local partner CISCOPE (civil society coalition for poverty eradication), implemented a project to support livelihoods and improve WASH in Kogi state from February to May 2013. This was followed by a 3-month nutrition and food security program in the same location from October 2013 to January 2014. IRC has been supporting programming in Adamawa state since early 2014. Since then, the IRC has expanded its operations to Borno and Yobe states courtesy of funding from ECHO, OFDA, DFID, LDS, SIDA, Europe Aid and SDC with projects on emergency WASH, nutrition, FSL and protection mainstreaming for IDPs and host communities in the two states.
Scope of Work:
- The EH Infrastructure Officer will report to the EH Manager and will be primarily responsible for supervising the water and Sanitation infrastructure works as directed by the EH Manager.
- The main objective of this position is to support the EH Manager in implementing safe water and improved sanitation provision across IDP settlements in Borno. This includes proposing water resources and sanitation options, and construction of water and sanitation infrastructure.
- Ensure that the water and sanitation activities and monitoring activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner and in line with beneficiary needs.
- Maintain close links and collaboration with other EH teams and sectors and in particular Health, Nutrition, Protection, Gender, CYPD (Child and Youth Protection and Development), Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE) and Economic Recovery and Development (ERD).
- With the support of the EH Manager, conduct assessments and technical surveys on new and existing water sources and sanitation facilities (Latrines, bathing facilities and laundry stations).
- Design appropriate and cost effective water delivery systems and sanitation facilities, including robust drainage mechanisms at collection points and sanitation.
- Train and supervise the EH Technician-Water and Sanitation.
- Coordinate closely with the EH Officer-Hygiene Promotion over placement/siting of water and sanitation facilities to ensure that beneficiary needs and preferences are fully met.
- If required, oversee and manage water trucking deliveries and systems
- Manage the supervision of all construction works related to water and sanitation.
- Provide weekly reports of progress on the construction of water and sanitation facilities.
- Seek guidance and approval from EH Manager on any changes to approved designs for water and sanitation facilities
- In coordination with the EH Manager ensure that stocks of materials (pipes, fittings, taps, slabs, tarpaulins, cement, reinforcement bars etc.), tools and any consumables (PVC glue, threading tape, hand pump spare parts, door locks etc.) are maintained and fit for purpose
- Maintain comprehensive control systems on materials and tools used including notes on quality of materials procured
- Ensure that all water and sanitation works are in line with national and local requirements
- Participate in review and evaluation of work to assist in enhancing program delivery and quality.
Staff Supervision & Development:
- Supervise the EH Technician-Water and Sanitation
- Identify, train and support EH Technicians with management of daily skilled and unskilled labor for water and Sanitation construction works
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable work teams to successfully complete their tasks on time and within budget
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on an informal, quarterly basis with designated staff.
- Responsible for EH Technician-Water and Sanitation time sheets, work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities.
- Ensure that the EH Technician-Water and Sanitation accurately record and collect daily labor time sheets and progress with work plans
- Daily volume of water supplied/delivered to location(s) including volumes and time of availability/day.
- Maintain records of number and location of all water collection points
- Conduct water user surveys
- Conduct water quality Monitoring at source and Household level
- Conduct Sanitary surveys
- Routine O&M of water distribution system (s) and sanitation facilities including drainage around all water points and sanitation facilities
- Maintain records of number and location of all sanitation facilities (latrines, bathing facilities and laundry stations).
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the EH Manager and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
Min Required Experience:
- Minimum Diploma/ Degree Hydrology, Civil Engineering or related subject;
- Significant professional experience in design and implementation of water projects.
- Competent communication skills, effective in representation and liaison
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Knowledge of English
- Competent user of MS Applications: Word, Excel; ACAD or similar
- Knowledge of the Local language-Hausa and Kanuri
- Good knowledge in Auto card design.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
Note: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.